The Friday Recharge does that for me. It’s a day where I spend more time away from my workstation, and actually feel prepared for Monday before I even leave work on Friday. That way I don’t have to use the weekend to recharge, I recharge on Friday so I’m ready to hit the weekend for fun and adventure. Here’s how it works for me:
- I plan for Fridays by blocking off some time in my Friday calendar on Wednesday so hopefully no-one will schedule a meeting during that time as it shows I’m busy.
- I get as much of the work done as I can during Monday through Thursday so I’m not scrambling to finish projects on Friday.
- I plan out my recharge activities
The recharge activites are the fun part. You could include others as well depending on the activity. Some examples that take you away from the daily grind to put you in more of an improvement frame of mind, which is a good way to increase positive energy in your workplace, are:
- Read a work related article. If you have periodicals at your work stop by and grab one. If not see if you can find one online if you have a computer. Maybe a newspaper, again if your work has them, or online.
- Sign up for an online webinar at work. See if your Human Resource office has a training program where they sign up for online webinars, whether live or previously recorded webinars.
- Sign up for a live offsite seminar or training course.
- Brainstorm ideas with co-workers for some improvement opportunities in your department or overall company.
These examples also improve positive energy in a less work related way:
- Meditate - this is an activity you can do on your own or with others. It could be seated at your desk or a bench outside, or even your car. It could also be a walking meditation if you know how to do that.
- Take a walk, it doesn’t have to be a walking meditation, and you can go alone or with a couple of co-workers.
This is a short list, use your imagination, inspiration and research to find what works best for you. And if you don't work a typical Monday through Friday workweek, or if you don't get two days off in a row, pic a day right before a day off and recharge then. Have fun.
Disclaimer - if these activities go against your company's policy, don't do them. Recharging is not worth losing your job over.